As the Fall approaches, many homeowners shift their focus towards home improvement. While most will be working on remodeling their kitchen or renovating their master bathroom, very few will be focusing on air duct cleaning. Just like replacing your furnace filter, air duct cleaning should be a part of your routine maintenance for any home containing a central air conditioning system, and there is no better time to hire an HVAC company for ductwork cleaning than the later end of the Fall season.
Why Air Duct Cleaning is Important
So if your indoor air quality seems to be good, is HVAC duct cleaning a scam or worth it? The answer is easy. It is worth it! Over time, many outside contaminants can find their way inside your home making your air ducts a safe-haven for indoor pollutants. This tends to happen much more throughout the Summer.
Reasons Contaminants Accumulate Inside your Air Ducts More Frequently in the Summer
- Windows are often kept open at night to avoid running your cooling system
- Increased foot traffic in and out of the home carrying with it air contaminants
- More time being spent outside means more time for you to accumulate contaminants that can find their way back inside your home and in your air duct system
Benefits of Having an Air Duct Cleaning Performed in the Fall
The Fall is the best time to hire an HVAC contractor for air duct cleaning for a variety of reasons.
- The Fall is typically a slow time for heating & cooling companies which allow them to schedule dates much faster and usually offer seasonal discounted rates.
- With Winter right around the corner, it is important to make sure any potential pollutants are removed so you and your family are not stuck breathing in dirty recycled air. This can often lead to health problems heading into the months where children and adults are much more susceptible to illnesses.
- Many air duct cleaning service providers also offer routine maintenance furnace tune ups. Air duct cleaning can be a great opportunity to also have your furnace inspected to avoid potential furnace repair heading into the cold months ahead.
How Much Does Air Duct Cleaning Cost?
Many factors go into your air duct cleaning cost, which can include:
- The size of your home
- The layout of your ductwork
- The amount of ducts your home has
However, the general rule of thumb is usually $35-$50 per vent. This can typically run the average household in the range of $400-$1000. To get a better idea on an estimated cost, call your local HVAC contractor and ask how they structure their pricing when estimating a home’s air duct cleaning cost.
Who Does Air Duct Cleaning Make the Most Sense For?
You can make the case that anyone with central air systems in their home need to have this service done at least every couple of years. There are some houses that could use it more than others. Common factors that can make a household much more in need of ductwork cleaning are:
- Households with pets living in them
- Households that have residents that smoke inside
- Households with small children
- Households that have anyone with allergies